Thursday, May 3, 2007

Pride Problem

Pride is one of my biggest struggles, and probably one of the biggest for many Christians. As new creations, we most likely do not struggle with the sins of murder, lying, stealing, etc. We tend to struggle more with inner sins, (such as pride, envy, conceit, discontentment, etc.). I am a perfectionist, and so I try to do everything right and make everyone happy. I can get so wrapped up in feeling that I'm doing pretty well, that I almost forget my desperate need for Jesus. At a recent spirtual disciplines retreat with my church, I had this awesome realization. Jesus was perfect in my place so I don't have to be! That is absolutely amazing! Of course, in our striving to become more like Christ, we are aiming towards perfection, yet we will never achieve it until we are made perfect in Heaven.

Another way I see pride in my life is in my prayers. This may seem odd, but let me explain. Often, when I am praying for forgiveness or other people, I close, and then think to myself, "That was a good prayer."

A few verses that are helpful in battling pride are Proverbs 16:18, and 29:23.

2 comments:

Courtney Reissig said...

Thank you Whitney. I am learning that the root of my frustrations when I drive is pride. I think that I deserve to get home faster than the other people. So awful.

It's good to recognize pride, and cry out with Paul "o wretched man that I am, who will deliver me from this body of death?" Christ will, and He did, 2,000 years ago on Calvary!

Have a wonderful evening, dear friend!

Hannah said...

I struggle so much with pride too. I was thinking about that prayer that we talked about one wednesday night
"Lord, at all costs, Kill my pride"
AAHH! How hard. This means giving your whole life into his hands so that he can do what he needs to get the glory.But that's the whole point. When we realize how little we are, there is no room for pride. It doesn't make the process any easier though.
Love you!