Monday, May 14, 2007

Hope in What???



Today I created a page on Buddhism for my China portfolio. This is what I wrote in my "personal thoughts" section:
"Visiting a Buddhist temple was extremely eye-openning for me. Seeing all of the people bowing down and worshipping a clearly man-made idol was so sad. They have no hope. Their only fighting chance for "salvation" and "heaven" is to offer sacrifices and worship an idol who can do absolutely nothing for them.

"Those who lavish gold from the purse and weigh, out silver in the scales, hire a goldsmith, and he makes it into a god; then they fall down and worship! They lift it to their shoulders, they carry it, they set it in its place, and it stands there; it cannot move from its place. If one cries to it, it d oes not answer, or save him from his trouble." (Isaiah 46:6-7)

There seemed to be a presence of evil surrounding the temple. Because these people were not worshipping God, they were indirectly worshipping the evil one. How frightening for them! Not only do they not have any hope, their souls are in bondage to the devil."

Praise God that He is our hope!

I read a verse this morning about hope that I really liked:
"...we are His house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope." (Hebrews 3:6)
We are His house if we continue boasting in our hope, Jesus Christ.


1 comment:

Courtney Reissig said...

Thank you Whitney for this insightful post. I took a world religions class last year and learned about Buddhism. It is very sad.

Thanks again, friend. I look forward to reading your next post.