Monday, July 7, 2008

Captain's Dinner

Last week Sam, Betty, and Anika held an appreciation dinner for the Rebelution captains and their families. Pastors David Michael and Kempton Turner spoke. Both messages were very encouraging. Pastor Kempton gave an illustration that really encouraged me to continue doing hard things through Christ. He recalled learning to ride a bike. His father gave him a big push then shouted for him to pedal! Kempton likened this experience to The Rebelution conference on the 21st. He said that the conference was the push, getting most of us captains outside of our comfort zones, and doing things that were hard for us. As his father enthusiastically encouraged him to pedal, Kempton encouraged us not to coast, but to continue to stretch ourselves and set the believers an example - through Jesus Christ. The conference was the push that got us started, and now we need to continue pedaling and doing hard things! The captains were given plaques commemorating their service during the conference.

Coming off of the pressure and details that filled my time before and during the conference, I have had time to regroup and try to understand the feelings I was having. I thought the conference was incredible, as I have previously mentioned, but there was something nagging at the back of my mind. The Gospel. I know that when Alex and Brett are speaking at the conferences, it is coming from a heart that embraces and loves the Gospel. Yet, it didn't come out through the sessions as often as I would have liked it to. I realize that that statement just sounds like a matter of personal preference, let me rephrase. The Gospel didn't seem to be the focus of why we do hard things. Don't get me wrong, I am whole-heartedly for rebelling against low expectations for teenagers and setting the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity (1 Timothy 4:12). But I also know that the only way we can do those hard things is through the strength the Christ supplies. Again, I know the Harris family loves and believes the Gospel, it just didn't seem to be the focus as I believe it should be. I say this also to myself, because I know that I need to always live in light of the Gospel, and most often I fail. I need to remember my need for Christ, and my nothingness without Him. That He gave His life to bring glory to the Father, and to save my soul. I want to commend our team, especially Sam and Joe, for returning our focus to the cross. It was very sweet to work with such an encouraging team!

2 comments:

Waldemar Family said...

Keep pedaling, Whit. I love your heart.

Courtney Reissig said...

Yes, friend. I love your heart, too. Keep pedaling--He is steadying "your bike" in this race called the Christian life. It was so good to talk with you today!